Assistant Professor of Computer Science & Engineering
Assistant Professor of Genome Sciences
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering
University of Washington
PhD Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 2009
MS Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 2003
BS Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, 2001
CSE office: Rm 536, Paul G. Allen Center; GS office: S243C, Foege Building
suinlee AT uw.edu
Awards & Honors:
- Best Paper Award, NIPS workshop "Interpretable Machine Learning for Complex Systems" (2016)
- NSF/ABI CAREER Award: Learning the Chromatin Network from ENCODE ChIP-Seq Data (2016)
- NIH/NIA R21: Machine Learning Approach to Identify Alzheimer's Disease Therapeutic Targets (2015)
- American Cancer Society Research Scholar Award: Big Data Approach to Personalized Therapy for Caner (2015)
- NSF/ABI Innovation Award: Statistical Methods for Biological Network Estimation (2014)
- Solid Tumor Translational Research Transformative Research Grant (2014)
- eScience/ITHS Seed Grants (2014)
- Finalist. Microsoft Research New Faculty Fellowship (2013)
- UW's Royalty Research Fund (2013)
- Best Paper Award, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI) (2012)
- Before 2009: 1) Stanford Graduate Fellowship (2001-2004); 2) Samsung Lee Kun Hee Fellowship, 2002-2006; 3) Ministry of Information and Communication Fellowship, 2001; 4) The President of KAIST Award (1st runner-up for academic excellence in the undergraduate program); 5) Gold Medal, Samsung Humantech Paper Competition, 2000; and 6) Merit-based full scholarship, 1997-2001, KAIST.
Recent invited talks:
- University of Washington, Statistics Department Seminar, February 2017.
- University of Washington, Pathology Department, January 2017.
- Big Data Panel Discussion, SLU Collaborative Seminar Series, January 2017.
- Amazon, Machine Learning Seminar, December 2016.
- Korean BioMedical Scientists (KBMS) Annual Conference, December 2016.
- Carnegie Mellon University, Computational Biology Seminar, November 2016.
- University of Washington, Medical Genetics Seminar, October 2016.
- Keynote speech at the International Workshop on Computational Network Biology: Modeling, Analysis and Control (CNB-MAC 2016), October 2016.
- University of California, San Diego. Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (BISB) Seminar, September 2016.
- Johns Hopkins University, Institute for Computational Medicine Distinguished Speaker Series, September 2016.
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Data Science Affinity Group Seminar, August 2016.
- Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Special Cell Circuits & Epigenomics Seminar, June 2016.
- Broad Institute, Models, Inference & Algorithms Seminar, June 2016.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Center for Functional Cancer Epigenetics (CFCE) Seminar, June 2016.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bioinformatics Seminar, May 2016.
- Institute for Systems Biology, April 2016.
- Gladstone Institutes/UCSF, Convergence Seminar, April 2016.
- University of California, Berkeley, April 2016.
- University of Washington, Machine Learning Lunch Seminar, April 2016.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, March 2016.
- The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Genetics and Genomic Sciences, March 2016.
- University of California, Santa Cruz, Cancer Genomics Seminar, February 2016.
- Stanford University, Center for Cancer Systems Biology Seminar Series, January 2016.
- Stanford University, Genetics Department, January 2016.
- SickKids Research Institute/U of Toronto, Scientific Talk, November 2015.